Friday, May 28, 2010

For You Friday - Making Travel Fun with Little Ones

Today's For You Friday is tips for making traveling with our children a little more enjoyable.  With it being a holiday weekend and the summer upon us I know a lot of folks will be getting into their cars and embarking on a fun road trip.  So I've got a few little tips that just might help you out.  

Now if you're new here or stopping in from one of the awesome Friday Follow Blog Hops like New Friend Friday or Friday Follow or Blog Frog Hop then let me tell you Friday's here are fun.  It's all about you and what's more fun that you?  Well maybe some giveaways, tips, things I think you will enjoy, advice, and more make it that much more fun.  I'd love to have you as a new follower but only if you are interested in crafts, DIY projects, humor, honesty, tutorials, and fun.  The only thing I request is to let me know why you've decided to follow me, that lets me know you read my posts, looked around and made a decision, not just clicked follow to add numbers, it also encourages me to come visit your blog, follow back and come back often. 
I am wanting to develop friendships and more interested in relationships with my readers and not just numbers.  Deal?!  Good now on to For You Friday.  This post comes straight from my article that I publish with Macaroni Kid.  It's filled to the brim with awesome stuff so if you like this post, check out the rest of the articles and because I have no shame, I'd love to beg you to sign up for my weekly newsletter.  It's for moms and dads filled with activities and ideas to do together to build family bonding.  PLLLEEEASSE!  Just click HERE to read more articles and click HERE to sign up. Oh did I mention it's free? :)

This past weekend my family found ourselves traveling from NE Dallas to San Antonio right in the middle of Monkey's prime time playing time. If any of you have experienced traveling with an almost 2 year old in the middle of her playing time then you can imagine the frustration on both the parents and child. Traveling with kids can take a lot of planning and a lot of patience and having a few go to tips for each trip will help in both the planning area and the patience area so that we can all have a more peaceful trip.




  1. Never underestimate the power of new loot. Start a bag of toys you collect over the months and save them for the upcoming trip. You can collect from happy meals, attending a conference with the free goodie bag filled with erasers, key chains, and bouncy balls, dollar bins at stores, etc. Watch your child be forever dazzled by all the new toys and ample opportunities to play with new said toys.

  2. Bring fun and easy to clean up snacks and fresh water. This will help cut down on extra non planned stops and gives them a chance to fuel their body. I like to bring fruit snacks, string cheese, and gold fish crackers as some of my go to snacks.

  3. Plan for stops. Find places in the area that has a park or a restaurant that has a playground. We try to allow for 45 minutes at these types of stops. Yes it adds more time on the trip but what means more to you, an extra 45 minutes of laughter, giggles, and playing out of the car or screaming, crying, and whining from the back seat? Your call.

  4. Music Cd's and movie dvds can be a life saver. I like to use this time to show educational shows or music to help our toddler with her ABC's and 123s. It keeps her entertained and allows me some time to read or rest my eyes while driving. Oh I kid, the awesome Poppa/hubby is driving.

  5. Games. No not the hand held video games, but games that gets you and your kids to interact with one another like: I Spy, or The Number Game. Of course we aren't at that age yet so we play peek a boo and sing Itsy Bitsy Spider but those are great car activities too.
Remember attitude is everything when traveling. It can make or break a trip. Plan on the unexpected but go with the flow. Treat your trip like an adventure and let the bumps in the road along the way become little additions to your trip. Besides, I've never seen Dora let any of the obstacles that she has to travel over get to her, even that stealing fox doesn't get her down!

Have fun this holiday weekend and enjoy your family bonding time.  And nothing brings the family together like a screaming toddler in a cramped car for 6 hours. Can I get an Amen?!

Shayna


Photobucket
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copy and Paste Code